GSL® Intensive Workplace English Immersion™
Increase the productivity of your team by immersing team members in the Global Second Language® approach to developing English language proficiency with intercultural communication skills
The GSL Intensive Workplace English Immersion course is designed for accelerated learning by engaging participants in intensive, interactive English language instruction with a private coach or in instructor-led small groups. The course provides a fundamental approach to English communication skill development specifically focused on workplace interaction – speaking, writing, listening, reading and vocabulary development – as well as an introduction to accent clarity in English. During this course, which includes a pre-assessment, online preparation and post-assessment, participants are challenged to activate their passive knowledge of English and apply assertive speaking techniques in numerous activities, including role plays, informal conversation practice, and meeting simulations (with more than one instructor). Participants read about and discuss topics to their job or workplace, review and practice fundamental English grammar and syntax in writing and speaking, and begin to apply general pronunciation elements (thought grouping, and intonation, and stress) to improve their accent clarity.
Coursework is aligned with participants’ English proficiency level, confirmed through spoken and written assessments. Through intensive training, focused exercises, and daily application in an English-speaking workplace environment, participants improve their listening comprehension while developing the English skills they need to improve their presentation skills, increase contributions in meetings, and develop more collaborative relationships. By improving their English language proficiency and intercultural communication skills, participants increase their productivity, expand professional opportunities, and gain confidence to leverage their professional expertise in a quick period of time.
In this highly-interactive immersion course, participants will learn to:
- Use GSL Listening Techniques™ to improve virtual or in-person communication with colleagues
- Use verb tenses and sentence structure to more accurately describe actions in projects
- Begin to use GSL English™, a culturally-neutral communication tool, to relay messages to people from multiple cultures and countries at the same time
- Apply an expanded range of vocabulary to more accurately express expertise
- Communicate more spontaneously and assertively with colleagues
- Use intonation and stress to indicate certainty or uncertainty in conversations
- Use a GSL three-step process to plan and prepare meeting contributions
- More clearly express ideas by pausing between phrases to divide their speech into meaningful segments that listeners will be able to process and understand
- More confidently interject, change the topic, support opinion or disagree in meetings
- Restate comments to verify understanding or ask for clarification
- Apply a writing process to more effectively communicate their messages through email
- Increase the variety and detail in written sentences, enhancing the clarity and appeal of workplace communication
- Identify and correct word order errors in questions
- Change verb tenses and time and place references when using reported speech to accurately communicate information that others have relayed
- Learn and apply a presentation method that is effective across multiple cultures simultaneously in direct or virtual meetings
- Practice application of the GSL 6-Step Model™ to develop workplace relationships that support effective collaboration, which leads to improved goal achievement and ability to continue learning and practicing autonomously
28 hours (three days of 8-hour sessions, plus three 1-hour-long social interaction practice lunches; or four days of 6-hour sessions, plus 4 1-hour-long social interaction practice lunches).
This course is delivered in-person, designed for meeting preparation or accelerated advancement (based on job function).