Workplace Pronunciation and Speaking Effectiveness
Developing accent clarity skills strengthens relationship-building and enhances career growth by improving collaboration, facilitating knowledge transfer, and increasing productivity. Many people believe that to be truly proficient in another language, they must lose their native language accent. However, people who master other languages as teenagers or adults find it very difficult to change their accents. In fact, it is almost impossible for one to hear one's own accent, making it unrealistic to try to eliminate it or focus on reducing it. A more positive and achievable goal is to improve pronunciation and speaking effectiveness such that native and non-native English speakers can understand with minimal listening effort. The GSL Accent Clarity Learning System can help professionals significantly improve speech clarity and intercultural communication in workplace contexts.
This GSL Learning System is designed for non-native English speakers who need to increase their professional effectiveness by improving their speech clarity, intercultural communication, and leadership skills in workplace contexts. Cognitive English proficiency levels should be intermediate-mid and above on the TOEIC® or Independent User and above on the CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference) scales.
Is This the Best Learning System for You?
Ask yourself these professional development questions:
- Do you struggle to make others understand you?
- Do you encounter frustration or lack of interest when you are explaining your ideas?
- Do people ask you to repeat yourself frequently, and still not fully understand your intended meaning?
- Is it difficult for you to join discussions or to complete your ideas before others interrupt you?
- Do you receive surprised reactions when you answer native English speakers' questions?
- Do you feel that others do not recognize your business or expertise contributions because of your accent?
- Would you like to develop more confidence when speaking in meetings or conference calls?
- Do you feel that your accent has affected your ability to grow and advance professionally?
If you answered "yes" to any of these questions, you will benefit from the GSL Accent Clarity Learning System.
The GSL® Accent Clarity™ Learning System is designed for non-native English speakers who need to improve the clarity and effectiveness of their communication in globally diverse workplaces.
The courses in this GSL Learning System will give you tools and strategies to improve your speech clarity, which will give you more credibility and confidence in professional settings. By learning how to develop new skills for speech clarity in English, participating in interactive exercises, role-plays, conversation scenarios and independent online practice, you will (1) learn how native English speakers communicate meaning through pronunciation, (2) improve your listening comprehension, and (3) make your speech and expressions more intelligible. You will also learn how GSL English, a culturally-neutral communication tool, is integrated with speech clarity elements to help help you communicate effectively in multiple-culture workplace environments.
For more specific information about the individual courses, please refer to the course descriptions.
Is This the Best Learning System for Your Organization?
Ask yourself these questions to assess the professional development needs of your staff:
- Do they struggle to be understood by others?
- Do they encounter frustration or lack of interest when they are explaining their ideas?
- Do others ask them to repeat themselves frequently, and still don't understand their intended meaning?
- Do they receive surprised reactions when they answer native English speakers' questions?
- Is it difficult for them to join discussions or to complete their ideas before others interrupt them?
- Do you observe that others appear to not recognize their business or expertise contributions because of their accent?
- Would they benefit from developing more confidence and assertiveness when speaking in meetings or conference calls?
- Is it plausible that their accent has affected their ability to grow and advance professionally?
If you answered "yes" to any of these questions, your staff will benefit from the GSL Accent Clarity Learning System.
The courses in this GSL Learning System provide tools and strategies to improve speech clarity, and enhance credibility and confidence in professional settings. By learning how to develop new skills for speech clarity in English, participating in interactive exercises, role-plays, conversation scenarios and independent online practice, participants will (1) learn how native English speakers communicate meaning through pronunciation, (2) improve their listening comprehension, and (3) make their speech and expressions more intelligible. They will also learn how GSL English, a culturally-neutral communication tool, is integrated with speech clarity elements to help them communicate effectively in multiple-culture workplace environments.
For more specific information about the individual courses, please refer to the course descriptions.
Each GSL Accent Clarity Learning System course provides reasonable objectives, focused training, and consistent practice, using the principles of clear English pronunciation and intercultural communication in workplace contexts. Through listening and speaking exercises, specialized scenario learning, and online practice (beyond class sessions), participants will:
- Learn how native English speakers communicate meaning
- Improve their listening comprehension
- Increase speaking effectiveness by improving the clarity and intelligibility of in their speech
- Use culturally-neutral GSL English as a tool to communicate more effectively with non-native and native speakers from different countries and cultures in workplace contexts.
The GSL Accent Clarity Learning System includes three course levels of proficiency, which train participants on how to use the global elements of pronunciation and culturally-neutral English to improve the clarity and efficacy of their communication in globally diverse workplaces. Research demonstrates that these global elements (thought grouping, word stress, focus word stress, rhythm and intonation) have a greater impact on intelligibility than individual or clusters of vowel and consonant sounds.
The GSL Accent Clarity Learning System is designed to meet the needs of participants based on cognitive English proficiency and assessed skill levels, from beginner through advanced. Whether Level 1, Level 1-Plus, Level 2, Level 2-Plus, or Level 3, participants will often realize improvements throughout the course. Additionally, the -Plus courses include intensive customized training to improve pronunciation of specific vowel and consonant sounds that inhibit participants' accuracy and clarity, as identified by their GSL Accent Clarity Assessment. By improving their pronunciation and speaking effectiveness, participants gain credibility, strengthen team productivity, increase presentation and interaction confidence, and contribute more assertively in all workplace contexts.
Culturally-neutral English is integrated into all GSL Learning Systems. This leads participants to gain confidence while expressing themselves, and develop clarity and assertiveness in their interactions.
The Global Second Language® approach recognizes that non-native and native English speakers use English differently (generally, without realizing it). This difference creates consequences in professional and workplace communication contexts when people from different countries interact as part of their job functions. Our approach integrates proven GSL® strategies and proprietary culturally-neutral English methodologies that improve all types of workplace communication (accent clarity, speaking and writing, listening and reading) in virtual as well as direct settings.
We use a proprietary method to identify the best program for our participants.
All programs begin with a certified cognitive workplace English proficiency test and the comprehensive GSL Accent Clarity Assessment. The TOEIC® Speaking & Writing Test (a globally recognized standard) is used to confirm the cognitive level of English proficiency and identify any non-speech related gaps (such as grammatical or vocabulary) that may influence one's ability to successfully complete a GSL Accent Clarity course, as a certain level of grammar competency is presumed. The GSL Accent Clarity Assessment measures all aspects of pronunciation effectiveness, including application of the global pronunciation elements as well as articulation of vowel and consonant sounds. Since non-native English speakers sometimes integrate culturally-based, idiomatic expressions learned from native English speakers, the use of culturally-based English is also evaluated to identify any adverse effect on listener comprehension.
We leverage our Global 2nd Language® proprietary technology.
The Global 2nd Language® technology allows participants to practice 24 hours a day, any day of the week at their convenience. This technology is delivered through a secure platform, which functions as a means for participants to practice and receive instructor’s response between class sessions. Our technology allows instructors to add or modify exercises based upon participants’ progress and fosters accelerated learning while strengthening skill retention and workplace application.
All GSL programs include Support Services.
In addition to scheduled session class time, all GSL® programs include applicable G2nd Support Services at no additional fee. These services include:
- G2nd Support Team coordination of participant/instructor fieldwork review and response, scheduling management, technology training and support, and implementation of course-specific processes
- G2nd faculty preparation, fieldwork review and response between class sessions, and applicable communication between sessions
- G2nd representatives working with G2nd faculty to provide periodic assessment reviews and progress reports