GSL® Intermediate or Advanced English Development™ Level 1
Use the Global Second Language® approach to develop business communication skills, increasing employees’ productivity and ability to collaborate with colleagues
The GSL® Intermediate or Advanced English Development™, Level 1 courses are adapted to participants’ English proficiency level and provide a broad base of skill development specifically focused on global workplace interaction – speaking, writing, listening, reading and vocabulary development. Participants read about and discuss workplace-related topics, review and practice fundamental English grammar and syntax in writing and speaking, engage in conversation and meeting skill practice, begin to apply general pronunciation elements (thought grouping, word stress, focus word stress, rhythm, and intonation) to improve their accent clarity, and apply a facilitation method to communicate effectively with native English speakers from any country or culture.
Through individual coaching or in small groups, instructors lead participants through focused exercises, support consistent application and review, which leads to developing effective business communication competencies that foster collaboration among native and non-native English speakers in today’s globally diverse workplace. By improving their English language proficiency and intercultural communication skills at the same time, participants increase knowledge transfer capabilities, productivity, and team interaction while gaining confidence to more fully share their expertise.
Both intermediate and advanced courses are highly-interactive. Based on participant English proficiency, general learning objectives include:
- Using GSL Listening Techniques™ to improve virtual or in-person communication with colleagues
- Using verb tenses and sentence structure to more accurately describe actions in projects
- Beginning to use GSL English™, a culturally-neutral communication tool, to relay messages to people from multiple cultures and countries at the same time
- Applying an expanded range of vocabulary to more accurately express expertise
- Communicating more spontaneously and assertively with colleagues
- Using intonation and stress to indicate certainty or uncertainty in conversations
- Using a GSL three-step process to plan and prepare meeting contributions
- More clearly expressing ideas by pausing between phrases to divide their speech into meaningful segments that listeners will be able to process and understand
- More confidently interjecting, changing the topic, supporting opinion or disagreeing in meetings
- Restating comments to verify understanding or ask for clarification
- Applying a writing process to more effectively communicate their messages through email
- Learning a presentation method that is effective across multiple cultures simultaneously in direct or virtual meetings
- Practicing application of the GSL 6-Step Model™ to develop workplace relationships that support effective collaboration, which leads to improved goal achievement and ability to continue learning and practicing autonomously
24 hours (12 - 2 hour sessions)
This course can be delivered in-person or virtually. Virtual options include synchronous instructor-led blended with independent online practice with instructor feedback for each assignment.