GSL® Advanced English Development™ Level 2
Use the Global Second Language® approach to develop business communication skills, increasing employees’ productivity and ability to collaborate with colleagues
The GSL® Advanced English Development™, Level 2 course provides an extended level of skill development specifically focused on workplace interaction – speaking, writing, listening, reading and vocabulary development as well as speech clarity in English. The Level 2 course provides additional instruction and practice with (i) English grammar for business writing: participants develop their ability to produce present detailed ideas in writing by combining phrases and clauses in clearly structured sentences, correctly form questions, and accurately relay information others have told them by using reported speech; and (ii) general pronunciation elements (thought grouping, word stress, focus word stress, rhythm, and intonation) to improve their accent clarity, and apply a facilitation method to communicate effectively with native English speakers from any country or culture.
Through individual coaching or in small groups, instructors lead participants through more advanced exercises, while supporting consistent application and review, to developing effective communication competencies that foster collaboration among native and non-native English speakers in today’s globally diverse workplace situations. By strengthening their English language proficiency and intercultural communication skills at the same time, participants increase knowledge transfer capabilities, improve productivity, and contribute more effectively during team interaction while gaining confidence to more fully share their expertise.
In this highly-interactive extended course, participants will learn to:
- Use GSL Listening Techniques™ to improve virtual or in-person communication with colleagues
- Use verb tenses and sentence structure to more accurately describe actions in projects
- Begin to use GSL English™, a culturally-neutral communication tool, to relay messages to people from multiple cultures and countries at the same time
- Apply an expanded range of vocabulary to more accurately express expertise
- Communicate more spontaneously and assertively with colleagues
- Use intonation and stress to indicate certainty or uncertainty in conversations
- Use a GSL three-step process to plan and prepare meeting contributions
- More clearly express ideas by pausing between phrases to divide their speech into meaningful segments that listeners will be able to process and understand
- More confidently interject, change the topic, support opinion or disagree in meetings
- Restate comments to verify understanding or ask for clarification
- Apply a writing process to more effectively communicate their messages through email
- Increase the variety and detail in written sentences, enhancing the clarity and appeal of workplace communication
- Identify and correct word order errors in questions
- Change verb tenses and time and place references when using reported speech to accurately communicate information that others have relayed
- Learn and apply a presentation method that is effective across multiple cultures simultaneously in direct or virtual meetings
- Practice application of the GSL 6-Step Model™ to develop workplace relationships that support effective collaboration, which leads to improved goal achievement and ability to continue learning and practicing autonomously
30 hours (15 - 2 hour sessions)
This course can be delivered in-person or virtually. Virtual options include synchronous instructor-led blended with independent online practice with instructor feedback for each assignment.